Welcome to the inaugural History of Kinsalebeg Website… This is a first attempt at building a comprehensive history of the parish of Kinsalebeg in West Waterford. It has taken a few years of research to get to this point but it is hoped that the website will become a “live” ongoing updated resource in the years ahead. You will need to sign in with your email address in order to view the chapter content. This will enable website administration to update readers when new content is added or updated on the website. Scroll down the screen to get an overview of the initial chapter topics covered. Click on the “Chapters” button on the menu bar in order to access the history content and the “About” button will give some background information about the history itself. We welcome any contributions or comment or feedback on the website content. More »
The latest news on website chapter releases & content updates…
11th July 2014: Addition of No Survivors of Black Death in Kinsalebeg (1348-1350) to Events in Kinsalebeg History
4th July 2014: Addition of Major Ferry Boat Accident at Ferrypoint (30th Sept 1876) to Events in Kinsalebeg History
27th June 2014: Addition of The Growth & Decline of Fishers’ Mills at Pilltown to Events in Kinsalebeg History
20th June 2014: Addition of Duncannon Sunk by Artillery Fire from Ferrypoint (17th July 1645) to Events in Kinsalebeg History
6th June 2014: Addition of General Michael “Iron Mike” Joseph Galvin (1907-1963) of Monatray & Boston to Events in Kinsalebeg History
30th May 2014: Addition of Sir Nicholas Walsh of Pilltown (1540-1615): Knight, Legislator & Politician to Events in Kinsalebeg History
23rd May 2014: Addition of Naval Hero Stoker Lynch Awarded 1st Class Albert Medal
16th May 2014: Addition of Events in History of Kinsalebeg and Storming of Pilltown Castle 18th Aug 1646
14th April 2014: Addition of Rochs of Woodbine Hill chapter & updates to other content.
1st March 2014: Launch of prototype History of Kinsalebeg website with the following chapters: Stoker Lynch, Fishers of Pilltown Mills, Population Changes, Ferrypoint, Placenames & Old Names, Navy Men of Kinsalebeg, Kinsalebeg Church, The Great Famine, Walshs of Pilltown Part 1 (Sir Nicholas Walsh), Walshs of Pilltown Part 2 (Fighting Walshs), Dowdalls of Pilltown Manor, Piaras Mac Gearailt, Landlords and Land Ownership and Houses of Kinsalebeg.
How you can help in updating History of Kinsalebeg website… It is the intention that this website will be updated on an ongoing basis and contributions from readers, parishioners, emigrants, local historians etc. will hopefully form a part of this process. Every reader will have some useful historic information or photographic material regarding their own townland or family or houses or past events. People will have their own stock of stories, tall tales, ghost stories and folklore passed down from earlier generations. Part of this history covers the decrease in the population and number of houses in Kinsalebeg particularly over the last 150 years. Where were all these old houses and where did the population go? We are aware of a high level of emigration and it would be very interesting to start compiling a history of emigration from the parish of Kinsalebeg. Where did the emigrants go, what is the history of their descendants and what stories did they pass on. It would be very helpful if readers would pull together any interesting photographs or images in their possession from olden times to the present – originals will be returned to the contributors. Everyone can contribute something towards building an interesting and comprehensive History of Kinsalebeg website. See “Contact” button on the main menu bar for email and website contact details. More »
Eddie “Stoker” Lynch from Monatray won a 1st Class Albert Medal for his bravery in rescuing a colleague when the H.M.S Thrasher foundered on the notorious Dodman Rocks in September 1897. This story recalls the story of “Stoker” Lynch from the time of the tragic accident until his burial with full naval honours in Kinsalebeg Church in February 1899.
The Fisher family of Pilltown was mainly associated with the corn milling business of Pilltown Mills in the 18th and 19th centuries. This energetic Quaker family was also involved in famine relief, anti-slavery, aborigine protection, land reform, newspapers and female emancipation. This history traces their lives from their arrival in Youghal in 1692.
The seafaring parish of Kinsalebeg has a long and proud naval tradition. We trace the naval careers of thirty Kinsalabeg men who were involved in campaigns such as the Battle of the Falklands, the Battle of Jutland, the Dardanelles Campaign, the Battle of Gallipolli, the Suez Campaign, the Baltic Campaign, East Indies and China Stations. The history primarily covers the period up to and including WW1.
Sir Nicholas Walsh Senior was the patriarch of the Kinsalebeg family known as the Walshs of Pilltown. He established the large Walsh landholdings in Kinsalebeg based around Pilltown Castle and the Manor of Pilltown. He went on to achieve high office as a legislator and politician culminating in his appointment as Chief Justice (of the Common Pleas) in 1597 and as Speaker in the Irish House of Commons in 1585.
The Walshs of Pilltown took an altogether more revolutionary position in comparison with the political route of their founding father Sir Nicholas Walsh Senior. They lived through the difficult and violent 16th-18th period in Irish history. The history commences with Sir Nicholas Walsh Junior who was alleged to have started the 1641 rebellion with his declaration that he had obtained the support of King Charles I for the uprising. The history traces the lives of the fighting Walshs of Pilltown over a couple of centuries.
Sir John Dowdall was a leading English military commander in Ireland during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I. Dowdall lived in Pilltown Manor for a period in the late 1500s and early 1600s when he was leasing Pilltown property from Sir Nicholas Walsh. He was military Commander in Youghal for a period and later became the Commander of Duncannon Fort.
Piaras Mac Gearailt was a highly regarded poet and was widely considered to be one of the most influential of the Jacobite and Deiseach poets of the 18th century. He was born in Ballymacoda but spent a considerable part of his life in Kilmaloo Kinsalebeg and died in the nearby townland of Lackendarra. Over fifty of his poems and songs survive to the present day. The most famous of his compositions is the Munster war song Rosc Catha na Mumhan which has been recorded by a number of present day artists.
We attempt to trace the genealogy of the Roch/Roche family over twenty seven generations. Overview of the exploits of James “The Swimmer” Roch at the Siege of Derry to the medical military career of Col Horace Sampson Roch in the Boer War, WW1 and the Russian Civil War. It details the work of miniature painter Samuel Towgood Roch and the writings of Gothic novelist Regina Maria Roch.
Ferrypoint is primarily associated with the ferry which operated for over seven hundred years across the dangerous stretch of water from Ferrypoint to Youghal. Many tragic ferry boat accidents took place off Ferrypoint and it was also the scene of many historical events from the sinking of the Duncannon to the arrival of Cromwell.
This overview records variations in the names of townlands in Kinsalebeg and neighbouring parishes over the centuries. It also lists some of the many placenames that have appeared in various historical documents and local histories.
Kinsalebeg Church near Ferrypoint has a history which stretches back over seven hundred years. It was initially as a Catholic Church but was declared Church of Ireland from the time of Henry VIII. The history records historical references to the church together with available information on the clerical succession list down the centuries. It also includes information on some burials and marriages which took place in the church.
This history covers major land ownership in Kinsalebeg over a period of approximately fifteen hundred years commencing with the Déise tribe in the 5th century. It includes details from the lives of the families and individuals who were major landowners in Kinsalebeg at different stages of history including the Déise, FitzGerald, De Clare, De Badlesmere, Tiptoft, Earls of Ormond, Earls of Desmond, Walshs of Pilltown, Bernards of Bandon, FitzGeralds of Dromana, Earl of Grandison, Villiers-Stuart and Smyths.
This is a historical summary of some of the better known houses in the parish of Kinsalebeg. It includes details of individuals and families who resided in the houses over the centuries. Details are included of Monatray House, Woodbine Hill, D’Loughtane House, Prospect Hall, The Turret, Manor of Pilltown, Erasmus Smith’s School and Pilltown Castle.
Kinsalebeg lost all its inhabitants in the appalling Black Death plague of 1351. The population recovered to reach an all time high of 2889 inhabitants in 1841 but this decreased to 408 inhabitants in 1961 mainly through famine and emigration. The population has slowly increased to 481 inhabitants in 2006 and this overview traces some of the ups and downs in population in Kinsalebeg and neighbouring parishes over the centuries.
The Great Famine from 1845 onwards had a serious impact in Kinsalebeg and surrounding parishes. The history relates the ecumenical approach to famine relief in the parish whereby the Church of Ireland, Catholic and Quaker communities of the parish cooperated in their attempts to alleviate the worst effects of the famine. The Rev William Wakeham was particularly active in coordinating famine relief until his death in 1847 which was as a result of famine induced disease.
This chapter contains details of a series of interesting events or stories which occurred in the History of Kinsalebeg. These events are mainly extracted from the overall Kinsalebeg history and are covered in greater detail elsewhere in the relevant chapters. We will add a new story or event each week and hopefully when completed it will form a series of interesting stories about Kinsalebeg over the centuries. The series starts with the Storming of Pilltown Castle on 18th August 1646.